[pure-silver] Re: Print copying

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:29:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clifford Brown" <clifford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:55 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Print copying

Eric, Thank you for your comments. My Epson 1290S printer does indeed use inkjet, not pigment inks, and I think my use of the term Gicée is still an accurate one - the term being used before the development of pigment inks for inkjet printers. I did not think my post was so much OT, I was after all discussing an oddity found when copying a *silver halide* print made fifty years ago. I had hoped someone would provide me with an answer.

Perhaps I should add in mitigation that I have been making silver halide prints for the last seventy one years; and reluctantly admit to making inkjets (not Canon bubble jet) for the last twenty. It is said that the U.S. and the U.K. are two countries divided by a common language. I hadn't realised how divided our sense of humour is:-)
Clifford.
Somerset U.K.

I think pigment inks are still used in ink-jet printers. Its the ink that is different not the process. I first heard the term giclee used for prints made on an Iris machine. I think it is still a bit of a euphemism.