[pure-silver] Re: Preprocessing

  • From: afterswift@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 23:23:03 -0400

Hi Bob,

I think we should consider both film and digital photography in the same two
formats: Either no postprocessing; or postprocessing.

Much skill is involved in both formats. You mentioned snapshot photography as
though it is a no postprocessing type. In fact, it can be: news, sports, and
even art photographers have used no postprocessing. What they have used is
preprocessing or pre-exposure technique. That requires a lot of experience and
knowledge -- to be able to express everything meaningful in the scene
instantaneously -- like Cartier-Bresson -- or so it seems to someone watching
the photographer at work.

I don't think it's necessary to discuss postprocessing because both this list
and most of our digital confreres talk about it all the time and they need no
help from me.

Bob R