[pure-silver] Re: Phenidone in propylene glycol vs glycerin

  • From: Horvath Krisztian <hkcsii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:03:15 +0100

Once I put it into glycerin, just because I had that. It took around two weeks to dissolve, since the glycerine was at room temperature, but after that worked properly for a year or so until I used all. Maybe the phenidone dissolves faster if you rise the temp of glycerine in hot water bath (this works well with metol and hídroquinone for sure). Anyway, I souped a Pyrocat-MC-like staining developer with hidroquinone substituted for cathecol in glycerine, and never had any problem with viscosity at all, and if you rise the temperature at mixing, the glycerine will be much less viscous.

Krisztian

2/18/2010 3:32 PM keltezéssel, Claudio Bonavolta wrote:

Me again ...

Because the quantities of phenidone required in developers are very low and difficult to measure, many dissolve it in either alcohol, propylene glycol or glycerin at a low concentration.

After googling, it looks like propylene glycol and glycerin allow a better shelf life of the solution, maybe with a slight advantage to glycerin but at the cost of being less agreable to use due to its high viscosity.

Do some of you already tried both products ?

What is your preferrence and why ?

Thanks in advance,

Claudio Bonavolta

http://www.bonavolta.ch