[pure-silver] Re: Paperdeveloper for roller transport machine...contamination

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:07:49 -0400

Yes. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The yellowing will occur just along the edges and mostly from prints that have been roller-transport machine processed. You will see it in about 6 months to a year of natural age.

Richard, coming from the inside and knowing the technology of EK products, you are right about how advanced they were. Shame much will be lost..... Record retention at EK may destroy the formulas unless someone has the foresight to save them. But when that guy retires??????

The question is whether anything in the paper layer can migrate through the plastic to the emulsion. I suspect the yellowing Dave mentioned is from decomposition of the residual chemicals _in the paper_ layer rather than in the emulsion, can Dave confirm this? On another topic, there are a number of other problems which RC paper proved to be vulnerable. One was the gas emmissions from the TiO in the reflective layer, another was decomposition and staining from residual developer in papers with incorporated developer. Kodak, Agfa, and Ilford seem to have found ways to cure all of these but I wonder if some of the smaller companies currently making RC have this technology. One reason Kodak's leaving the paper manufacturing field was such a disservice is that IMO Kodak had the most advanced technology of all.

---