[pure-silver] Re: Paper developer: Dektol vs D-72 vs E-72

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:56:24 +0200

I use D-72 and ID-78.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com
http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On May 18, 2010, at 17:55, Claudio Bonavolta wrote:

It's quite a long time I'm thinking to find a more environmentally- friendly developer, say a phenidone/ascorbic acid based one. Having finished my last bottle of Agfa Neutol, a Dektol-like developer, last week-end I decided to do some tests and compared the original Dektol to its published D-72 formula and a formula I found on Anchell's book, the E-72.

I took two negs, one with lots of delicate highlights (snowy mountains with trees in the foreground) and a second with more dark areas (a studio portrait of my daughter), exposed them three times on Ilford Multigrade RC and develop in those three developers in same conditions (temp and time).

The results impressed me because all three prints were nearly indistinguishable (contrast, densities, image tone) put side by side.
I was expecting this between Dektol and D-72 but not with E-72.
I've yet to test it on fiber paper but this is very encouraging ...

Do some of you already used this formula, maybe on different papers, and what are your results ?

Chris Patton's E-72 Formula
Water (125°F/52°C)     750ml
Phenidone     0.3g
Sodium sulfite (anhy)     45g
Ascorbic Acid     19g
Sodium carbonate (mono)     90g (or 77 g anhydrous)
Potassium bromide     1.9g
Water to make     1000ml

Dilute between 1:1 and 1:4, with 1:3 for normal contrast.

Cheers,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch