[pure-silver] Re: Opinion Please!

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:35:16 -0500

Hi Eric

I have one more question; what enlarger do you use? It will of course come down to your personal taste for grain, contrast, and how you like to print

I have a wonderful Durst M605 (and a charming 606 which I hardly use). I have a color head and a condenser head, a Nikkor 50/2.8 and Rokkor 80/5.6. Sometimes I use very old Schneider Kruznach Componons, a 50/4.5 and 80/5.6. I really haven't noticed any difference between these lenses - maybe because they're all good. The 50mm Componon has a bit of haze in it, but I haven't noticed that either. If it's possible to describe this to you, I like more contrast rather than less contrast. I have nothing against grain at all, sometimes I like a lot of it, other times I want it to behave and stay back, but I don't want it to disappear.

Some examples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/4115004642/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/2574668470/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/3399418526/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/3536991469/

Lately I've been thinking of photographs that read more like drawings. In fact I'm coming to realize that maybe that's what I've been after for some time. I used to draw a lot, and I just don't have time anymore, and photography is more fun (to be honest).

Elias