[pure-silver] Re: Old Paper Developer Question

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 05:22:04 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

     I reiterate that there is confusion here between fog generated by the
developer and fog due to aging of the emulsion or chemical effects on it. The
latter produces developable centers in the silver halide crystals just as if
they were exposed to light. The anti-foggants suppress these but AFAIK no
developer is inherently free of this kind of fog.
     There are some developers which do not produce chemical fog and are
relatively immune to aerial fog. For instance, there are some developers used
in emulsion research but they are not very practical for pictorial purposes.