[pure-silver] Re: Odd picture

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:48:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence Cuffe" <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:31 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Odd picture

On Thursday, May 31, 2007, at 12:10AM, "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Thorns" <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:57 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Odd picture

This is not exactly a high-brow site, overall, but this
one picture is a bit odd. Almost looks like it's been
Photoshop'd;

http://www.boredstop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=33

  Maybe its real but notice the ball or float to the left
of the boat: it has a reflection, the boat does not. Even if
the boat is sitting high on a V bottom which is painted
black one would expect to see some reflection from its white
sides. Also, although the image is not large enough to be
sure, there appears to my eye to be some odd blurring in the
water around the left side of the boat. Again, it _may_ be
legit but (as Red Skelton used to say) somehow it just don't
look right to me.
---
Richard Knoppow
I'd agree that the lack of a reflection looks odd, though this could be the effect of a linear polarizing filter, which will block out a reflection from a dielectric such as water completely for some angles. I'm not sure that this is true for the circular polarizers recommended for most modern cameras. Other than that I've seen water this clean is some mountain lakes where the water was so clear you could get vertigo while swimming.
All the best
Larry

A circular polarizer would have the same effect, they serve the same purpose as a linear polarizer for incoming light but depolarize the light passed to the camera. Its possible that a filter could have been used but I think it would have affected the reflection from the ball also plus the cloud reflections also seen on the water. I've seen some pretty clear water but this doesn't look right. Also, while the shadow of the boat is visible no detail of the bottom is visible. I don't know what the sea bottom is like in this area, perhaps its just flat sand with no rocks or things growing there.

---