[pure-silver] Re: Odd picture

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:42:12 -0700

On Thursday, May 31, 2007, at 01:41PM, "Sauerwald Mark"
<mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>The light will refract at the air/water interface,
>which will have the effect of hiding the portion of
>the boat below the waterline.   A friend once took a
>photo which took advantage of this effect by laying on
>his back, in shallow water, holding his breath until
>the water was smooth, and then taking a photo with a
>fisheye lens pointing straight up.
>
>The resulting image has a circle of sky/above water
>scenery giving a full 180degree scope in the middle of
>the frame, around the edges of the frame, the light is
>reflected off of the surface of the water, and you see
>the sea bottom.

This sounds more like what you would get taking a photograph from underwater,
where past the angle for total internal reflection, you would get the image of
the sea bottom reflected of the underside of the sea surface. My problem with
the original description, poetic as it may be, is that 180 degrees would only
get you as far down as the horizon on both/all sides.
All the best
Larry Cuffe