[pure-silver] Re: OFF LIST: "The Book"

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:35:36 -0700

At 02:34 PM 3/23/2008, you wrote:
DEAR RICHARD,
        An off list question:  When, around 1971, at RIT I took my graduate
level course, also titled, "Theory of the Photographic Process" taught by
Dr. T. H. James, we used the Mees and James version of the book.  I noticed
that you usually site the Mees version.  Is there a reason you prefer that
version to the later Mees and James?  I

I'm not sure that the later version has as complete a summary of Loyd Jones work in it. There was a lot of advancement between the "revised" edition, really the second edition and the third which is the one edited by Dr.James. Mees had retired and died before the third edition was published. There is also a fourth edition, which according to Ryuji Suzuki is closer to modern chemical understanding but has errors in it, or maybe its the third he meant. Ryuji is seldom specific about things like th errors, he just drops bricks but he is nonethess usually right. Notes from Dr James lectures would certainly be valuable. I suspect you could post them on your web site. As you know Dr. James took over as director of Kodak labs when Dr. Mees retired.