[pure-silver] Re: Newbie Bulk Loader mistake

  • From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:47:33 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 4:44 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Newbie Bulk Loader mistake

>    My bulk loader arrived yesterday. It's an Alden 74. I loaded the bulk
> film in, ran the film into the canister area and closed it all up and
> flipped the lights on.

The best film loader, by the way.

>     1) Have I ruined the first 5 rolls by scratching the emulsion while
> dragging it through the closed light trap? I've exposed a roll yesterday
> to test and I will soup it later this weekend to make sure.

Possibly.  Look at the emulsion and see how scratched it is.  If it looks
fine, it probably is fine, although you might want to put an X on the labels
of those rolls so that you know they are questionable and you can avoid
using them for important shots.

>     2) Certainly someone has a trick to keeping the film from slipping
> on the reel?

I use masking tape,  I put the tape on the top of the film, with the film
just against the spindle, and then wrap the tape around the spindle and
stick the other end of it onto the other side of the film.  This means the
film is securely mounted to the spindle and can't spin.  I've never had a
roll of film come loose, and I've bulk loaded about 200 rolls of film.

Jim