[pure-silver] Re: Negative Exchange

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:23:23 +0200

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:38:46 +0000
Sujet: [pure-silver] Negative Exchange
À: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>“The negative is comparable to the
>composer's score and the print to its performance. Each performance differs in
>subtle ways. “
> - Ansel Adams
>

>I think everyone would agree that the print exchanges are
>interesting, educational and FUN!
>
>In the print exchanges we have all seen each others
>performance of their own work.
>

>How about something just a little different – a Negative
>Exchange.
>

> How would it work?
>

>6 participants would each go out and make ONE
>negative.  They would send their negative to me.  I would send one negative to
>each photographer with a list
>of the other participants.  Each participant would be given one month to print
>7
>identical prints of the negative.  After printing the Printer would cross
>their name off the
>list and then mail the negative to the next printer on the list who would then
>have one month to make 7 identical print, And so on until all six negatives
>had been printed.
>
>On the back of each print note the name of the
>photographer, and your name along with details of what went into making the
>print.
>
>After you have printed all six negatives send all prints to
>me and I will put it all together and send to each participant along with their
>negative.
>

>This would be interesting because each photographer would
>be approaching each negative with none of the preconceptions that the
>photographer or any of the other printers might have.  Every negative is open
>to interpretation.  It will be interesting to see your
>interpretation of other’s negatives.
>

>As Ansel Adams might say you would have the opportunity
>to perform the music written by another with your own interpretation.
>

>Issues to be discussed:
>
>The number of participants was picked by me.  It can be larger or smaller.
>
>There probably should be a standard format for the
>exchange.  35mm may be universal.  If all participants can print larger sizes
>then larger format negatives should be considered.  I can print everything
>from Minox to 4X5 so
>it doesn’t matter to me.
>
>Should there be a theme?
>
>Time issues – 1 month to shoot your negative and
>mail.  One month to print each negative.
>
>Number of prints  -
>one per printer plus one extra.
>
>When mailing in your prints please include the amount it
>cost to ship to me to cover the cost of shipping the group back.Another
>thought - should each photographer also print seven copies of their own
>negative so a camparison of the various interpretations can be made to the
>performance by the creator of the image?
>
>Please share your thoughts on the conduct of this exchange.  The Negative
>exchange would be open on a first come basis...
>Good Light!
> [...]

That could be pretty interesting although the whole process is quite long
before we get all prints.

regarding the number of participants, the higher the number, the longer the
process. Let's see how many are interested, maybe it's a non-issue.

I'd prefer to avoid a theme.

Regarding the shipping costs, there may be some differences between shipping
from A to B and B to A and depending the size/weight it can also differ.
You should also tell us in what currency you'd like to be paid.

I second the idea to add a print made by the author of the neg as to add the
interpretation of the original author.

Count me in if neg sizes are restricted to 6x9cm and below (I'll send a 35mm).

Best regards,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch