[pure-silver] Re: Mystery lines?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:48:32 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Thorns" <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:20 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Mystery lines?

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Thorns" ><puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 6:25 PM

Well the final resolution is rather odd.

I mixed up twice as much LPD and still got the density marks.

I opened a new box of paper. Same marks.

Walked thru everything with safelights out to look for static or light leaks - nothing.

I scrubbed out the dev tray, and mixed up some Agfa Neutol. Seemed to improve the situation (density marks were much smaller and fainter), but still a few marks.

I should mention that the fixer I was using is something new to me (Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer).

I was also using a very fast rinse in the stop bath (Kodak Indicator) - just 10-15 seconds.

I mixed up some Ilford Rapid Fix and lengthened my time/agitation in the stop bath and voila - marks are gone. Made another 15 11x14s from various negs and had no re-occurance of the mystery marks.

Now, maybe, I changed other things and don't realize it, but, I never would have thought that the fixer could have anything to do with density marks(!?!?)

I wonder if the fixing was complete. Test one of the prints with Kodak Selenium toner diluted 1:9. If there is any residual silver or silver complex in the print it will stain yellow or brown.

Mixed up some fresh KRST 1:9, 74 degrees, constant agitation for 3 minutes and no stains or new marks appeared, neither while in the toner, nor after drying. The print appeared to slightly darken and took on the purple tinge. (It's a night scene, so most of the image is very dark tones.)

I'll just chalk this episode up to the Mysteries That Are Photography, and hope I don't see a replay.

The intensification and color change are normal for the toner. BTW, these prints are now quite permanent. You did not comment on whether the trays have ridges or grooves in them. Its possible that increased agitation near such features may have affected the amount of development. Also, I am not sure if a brief rinse in normal stop bath will be effective in stopping continued development in an alkaline fixing bath. Normally, a plain water short wash is used with a non-acid fixing bath. The idea is wash out the carried over developer pretty rapidly since it will be reactivated in the fixer, at least briefly. Alkaline fixers have become popular so one would think this problem would be frequent if this is the cause. I agree it remains a puzzle. About the only time I've encountered similar patterns is from very old paper or paper that has been subjected to moisture condensation in storage. Its just possible these are "pressure marks" but that seems to me to be pretty remote.

---