[pure-silver] Re: Mystery lines?

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 06:12:13 -0700

Though the trays do have troughs (they are old Paterson trays), the lines are not straight and vary from print to print. Sometimes a wavy line, sometimes a line that turns back in a U - orientation changes. Lines are about 2-3mm in width.

Did you  say that the density irregularities were in the same place in the
prints--like along the lengthwise features of your trays? Or maybe I missed
something along the way.   ---H.

 Well the final resolution is rather odd.

 I mixed up twice as much LPD and still got the density
 marks.

 I opened a new box of paper. Same marks.

 Walked thru everything with safelights out to look for
 static or light leaks - nothing.

 I scrubbed out the dev tray, and mixed up some Agfa
 Neutol. Seemed to improve the situation (density marks
 were much smaller and fainter), but still a few marks.

 I should mention that the fixer I was using is something
 new to me (Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer).

 I was also using a very fast rinse in the stop bath (Kodak
 Indicator) - just 10-15 seconds.

 I mixed up some Ilford Rapid Fix and lengthened my
 time/agitation in the stop bath and voila - marks are
 gone. Made another 15 11x14s from various negs and had no
 re-occurance of the mystery marks.

 Now, maybe, I changed other things and don't realize it,
 but, I never would have thought that the fixer could have
 anything to do with density marks(!?!?)

 I wonder if the fixing was complete. Test one of the
 prints with Kodak Selenium toner diluted 1:9. If there is
 any residual silver or silver complex in the print it will
 stain yellow or brown.

 ---