[pure-silver] Re: Mystery Hypo Test

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:34:41 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:35 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Mystery Hypo Test

Richard

That's good, but keep in mind, just as the book suggests, I'm interested in this formula as a substitute for HT-1 not HT-2. My goal is to have a better hypo test for film without going to methylene-blue.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

The first residual hypo test was one using potassium permanganate to test water run off from the print or negative. The problem was that the run off water could be relatively free of hypo while excessive hypo was bonded to the emulsion and support. It was not a satisfactory test despite being published for years. Its replacement was the silver nitrate test. This is practical and sensitive enough to determine when material has been washed down to archival levels. The methylene blue test is the newest but is mostly for specialized uses such as research and microfilm since it is rather complex. HT-1 and HT-1a are the permanganate test. The 1940 edition of _Photographic Facts and Formulas_ also contains the mercuric chloride test attributed to Crabtree and Ross but without a citation. I think this is not a very satisfactory test and evidently was not used for long. This does confirm my first impression that it was a very old test. The most satisfactory test for general use is the silver nitrate test Kodak HT-2. Again, HT-2 can be made quantitative by fixing the stain. I will have to find the method. I doubt seriously if HT-1 works better or is more sensitive.