[pure-silver] Re: Multiple storage venues, multiple owners of our prints ...was Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: afterswift@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:09:15 -0500

 Hi Lloyd,

 I think the bottom line is quality. Who evaluates quality? Here's a general
term or answer: Posterity. A crossreference of informed opinion of others over
time. For example, most museums will look at any photographer's body of work if
it is presented well. Let's ask ourselves what the curator is looking for. In
my experience, the first thing is a theme that ties the work together. Second
he is looking for the idea engendered in the image and how well it is
expressed. What he dislikes is imitation. He wants an original viewpoint born
of a worldview. That's the motive force behind the image and its impact on the
viewer.

 For example, an artist who was influenced by certain photographs is Edward
Hopper. His theme was the loneliness and alienation in the 20th century. You
have only to be on the scene in any city in the US at about 6AM -- or earlier
-- to get photos very similar to Hopper's paintings.

 Adams saw his landscapes through a red filter over large format B&W film. His
theme was landforms in their stark design. And the rendition was uncompromising
in technical quality.

 Interesting discussion we can't find anywhere else on the Net.

 Bob