[pure-silver] Re: Multigrade 1:9 developer vs Dektol 1:2

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:52:56 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "pure silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:00 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Multigrade 1:9 developer vs Dektol 1:2

Stopped into Calumet yesterday to get some fixer, developer and paper and there was no Kodak chemistry at all. 0

So looking at alternatives I ended up w/Ilford's Multigrade developer which is according to the label diluted 1:9. I'm wondering what folks' experiences are w/this developer diluted further as I'm hoping to stretch it's use till I move. 1:9 is fairly energetic and results are fine w/Multigrade paper as one might expect.

Eric

This might be false economy. The capacity of the developer and its resistance to aerial oxidation become less as it is diluted. You may also have problems obtaining good blacks. Since paper is developed to "completion", that is, to its maximum density and contrast, the strength of the developer mainly affects the developing time but it can also affect the maximum density somewhat. Probably Multigrade at 1:9 is of similar activity to Dektol at 1:2 but even Dektol can benefit from being diluted _less_ as Richard Henry indicates in his book when he mentions that he had by error been diluting it 1:1 and when he discovered that and switched to 1:2 found he got better results from the stronger solution. I am not sure but think Multigrade is similar to a liquid version of Bromophen, which in turn is a Phenidone version of Dektol, yielding somewhat more neutral color (not olive green) on many papers.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL