[pure-silver] Re: More on Sink project

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:44:34 -0500

At 03:45 PM 12/28/2006 , Mark wrote:

... an easy way to do it might be to just put a Y fitting on the end of whats there and run other washing machine hose over to where I need the end to be.  Or for that matter even regular garden hoses.  It will certainly be easier, but wouldn't be as durable.  Still if it gets me out of making holes in dry wall, drilling holes for pipe then fixing the dry wall again, I can live with it.

The other thing that came to mind is there likely anything in those hoses, or anything the water might pick up that could cause a problem that wouldn't be there with plumbing pipe.  Running pipe is better than ruined prints.  I can not see that it would be that big of an issue, but then again I've been wrong many times.  TIA  Mark

December 29, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I did exactly what you describe with Y fittings. I strung together a number of washing machine hoses to reach my sink. I'd avoid garden hose material, it will not take the pressure for long. Maybe look into the current type of stainless steel braid covered hose, butyl rubber inside or some such thing. I doubt very much there is anything to worry about in regard to something in the hose interacting with the prints. I never noticed anything like that.

Before I could put the darkroom in my old basement, I had to install a floor drain. Broke cement floor, dug down to huge old ceramic drain pipe, rented the right tool (looked like a motorcycle chain with circular cutters between each link), forced some sort of gen-yew-ine rubber tee fitting in there, filled in the grave, re-cemented, never had a problem for over twenty-five years.

Anyway, the best is to have a cement basement floor with a drain. A clear drain ...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com