[pure-silver] Re: More on Sink project

  • From: "Gary W. Marklund" <Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:18:03 -0700

In my current darkroom, I ran a box-like shelf along the length of my sink just above eye level. The copper plumbing runs inside the length of the shelf. There are four or five hose-bibs that extend out of the box. Initially, I used the stiff washing machine hose on each hose bib. I have since replaced that with an adaptor to connect to lengths of 3/8" latex hose. The latex is very flexible. Some lengths almost reach the sink bottom. Others extend about half way. This makes it very convenient for measuring while mixing chemistry and washing while for instance bleaching prints. The nice thing about the latex is that it is very versatile and you have total control. For closed systems like the Jobo, film washer and print washer I continue to use the stronger hose. These are all located on the other leg of the L shaped sink and are similarly connected to a lower positioned shelf system. Best of all worlds.

Gary

At 08:31 PM 12/28/2006, you wrote:
Hi,

I quite agree; all things being equal (which they never are), I'd go the the copper pipe route, even for the drain. I used several black PVS 5" plumbing pipes, cut to 14" with a cap glued to the bottom. Great for soak/washing 4 or 5 Patterson reels in Hypo Clear and later in Photo Flo stored in PVC cannisters. Turned out that something in the Photoflo acted as a solvent on the PVC glue and the joint between the cap and pipe started to leaked, tried Epoxy, same result. Now I use an old Patterson 5 reel plastic cannister.

But if that isn't an option due to certain constraints, like no wanting to have to rebuild dry wall, then the "soft solution" is the viable choice, although less desireable, in the long run.

I'm enlarging my darkroom so that I can have a 16' X 28" sink along one side and I'll be doing everything in copper, even the drain pipes. Finally, space...... :)

Cheers,
Bogdan