[pure-silver] Re: Moldy Slides

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:04:00 +0100

For high-quality scans, the Nikon LS-5000 with the slide feeder (SF-210) is a
good option.
Plastic mounts rarely jam so you can launch the scan overnight, with carton
mounts, it's better to keep an eye on it. The SF-210 can hold officially up to
50 slides but with my thicker mounts (2.3mm), I run 30 slides batches. Thicker
slides jam less than thin ones.
E-6 chromes can use the ICE function which removes dust and saves a lot of
post-processing work. With Kodachromes, you can't and it's better to undust the
slides with canned air (I do it for E-6 too, it gives lees work to the ICE).

For a lower quality, then a flatbed scanner with transparency back is
reasonably efficient too but involves more manual work (placing/removing the
slides).

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch