[pure-silver] Re: Moldy Slides

  • From: vellum <vellum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:14:35 -0600

I was just looking at hundreds of Kodachrome and Ecktachrome slides that
my parents took over the years.  They range from 1948 to 1990, or so.
The vast majority are 35mm, but there are a few boxes of 16mm slides.  I
don't see mold on any of the paper slide mounts, but some look pretty
worn.  Some slides have little dots on the film that may be mold, and
some fingerprints.  Some are badly faded, some look brand new.  I
haven't taken a really close look yet as I was intent mostly on taking a
general inventory and categorizing, but I  decided it would be best to
scan them before I try cleaning any of them, just in case the cleaning
causes more damage.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a good scanner that will scan
individual slides without having to remove them from their mounts?  I
have an ancient Nikon LS-4500 AF Multi-format Scanner that will do this,
but it is very slow and tedious to use for 35mm slides.  Also, the
drivers for it were written for Windows 98 and they do not work with
modern Windows versions.  Something that can handle slides in a bit more
automated fashion would be nice.  These are just family photos, so I
don't need drum scan quality :-)

Skip.