[pure-silver] Modern Day Prejudice (was Cheap Thrill for the Women)

  • From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:36:43 -0400

This reminds me of the experiences I've had lately w/the salespeople in my local camera store.

I'm not sure if it's because they know I'm in earshot and they all know of my love of film & darkroom and how adamant I am that I won't abandon it for digital (because I'm pretty vocal about it when it comes up--which is often!), or just coincidence, but I have been pretty steamed upon overhearing their comments during the last couple of weeks (while serving customers contemplating their first camera purchase since the advent of digital):

-NO ONE buys film cameras anymore (emphasis not mine)

-No one needs film cameras anymore (I felt like someone punched me in the gut that time)

(The last after they had just run a prominent newspaper ad for students & teachers w/film cameras for sale, making sure to let us know they still carry a full line of paper, chemistry, etc., for our needs!)

I really AM old enough to miss the good ole days.  Harumph.

Adrienne Moumin

***************************************
on the web at:    http://www.picturexhibit.com
Saatchi Gallery:    http://tinyurl.com/hw6r3
Art DC:              http://tinyurl.com/vtjqf
***************************************

From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] cameras as fashion accessories
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:13:37 -0500

When I first got my view camera, I took it to a local camera store to
see if they had a lensboard that would fit it.  ONe of the male clerks
said, "How cute!  It looks like a purse when it's folded up like that
and you are carrying it."  This sort of annoyed me.

When I got home I told my partner what the clerk had said.  He said,
"What would it have looked like if a man had been carrying it?  A
nuclear weapon?"
--shannon