[pure-silver] Re: Mixing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:21:32 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "titrisol" <titrisol@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 12:07 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Mixing

That is quite concentrated... can you make a half strength
solution and then use double of wht is required?
My guess is that you'll have to use warm water (60-70C) to
dissolve so much carbonate.
Besides, if my Handbok of CHemistry and Physics is correct,
solubility should be aorund 46g/100 ml !!

--- Camclicker@xxxxxxx wrote:

I am going to mix up 100 mL of Pyrocat HD and solution B calls
for 75g
Potassium Carbonate to be mixed with 70 mL distilled water and
topped off to 100
mL..

The last time I tried mixing this dense a solution (84g Sodium
Carbonate to
100mL water) I ended up with a glob of unusable, moist Sodium
Carb. Will the
Potassium behave the same way as the Sodium, if so is there a
trick to
mixing dense solutions?

Bruce
Brooklyn, NY
camclicker@xxxxxxx
www.camclicker.com

I wonder what form of carbonate was specified in the _original_ formula. In the US carbonate is usually either anhydrous or monohydrated but many English formulas specify crystaline carbonate. If the original formula was written for crystaline carbonate and that specification got lost somewhere it could explain the problem.

---