[pure-silver] Re: Law of demented returns....

  • From: Bill Stephenson <photographica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:05:01 -0400

Dear Uncle Dick,

I've been stealing money from our local school system for the past 30-35 years under the pretense of actually working during the hours I spend in my office/shop. Actually, I've been reading lamp catalogs from Westinghouse, Sylvania, GE, Varta, WICO, and a few hundred other manufacturers, along with the sales catalogs of virtually thousands of Audio Visual dealers who sell - or try to sell - these lamps. I've done cooperative purchasing bids for lamps where our net was usually 60-70% OFF list (not OF). It's been an effort, but I've managed to avoid actually replacing a lamp in any piece of equipment. I give principals and librarians price quotes and tell them where to order, but I've managed to avoid being around once the order arrives.

All that said (for no real humanistic reason), if you have the ANSI code for your lamp (the 3-letter designation unique to each lamp type) or, not quite so useful, a description that includes envelope size, filament style, base type, voltage and wattage, I might be able to get a decent price on said lamps.

After all, if I'm not working on that, I might have to actually work...nah, it's not going to happen at this point!

Yours truly,

Nephew Bill

On Mar 28, 2007, at 5:00 AM, Stein wrote:

Dear Friends,

If you stand long enough at the counter of our local photo store you will eventually be struck by a thought. Either to give up photography and start building model aircraft, or to strangle the sales assistant until he stops moving. Decisions, decisions.......

This was sparked by the quest for a light bulb to fit out my Beseler colour head - an 82volt 250watt model. The young man had never heard of such a thing - the sample I supplied dumbfounded him. A search on the computer revealed that there was one in stock and all it took was 15 minutes of waiting while he discussed what to do with the other employee. I prevailed on him to go search the stockroom or die on the spot and he took me at my word. 15 more minutes and I had it - $ 35 of lightbulb.

I asked him to order 3 more as spares. He seemed to agree - I'll go in next week and see if it actually occurred. I plan to take a rope and a pistol.

Uncle Dick

PS: I gave up on the idea of the model airplanes - I've stood at the counter of the local hobby shop and they use the SAME employment agency....