[pure-silver] Re: Large Format Tilt

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:23:30 -0800

At 09:36 AM 12/3/2007 -0500, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

Is it possible that given the very closeness of the pond to the camera and my lens that I'm simply not going to make this work? Or have I just not quite mastered the art of tilting ?

You have to remember that if you tilt the front or rear standard, to increase your DOF from close to far (horizontally), you will decrease your DOF vertically. Using tilt in a forest, to increase your horizontal DOF will cause the upper part of the trees (those close to the camera) to be out of focus. You have to compromise by using a little tilt to increase the horizontal and then stop down to pick-up the rest horizontally and the vertical. This is where a good loupe and a very dark, dark cloth, and long enough time under the dark cloth for your eyes to adjust, is what separates the wheat from the chaff! Or the men from the boys.

:-)

Jim