[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Film

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:18:18 -0500

Hi Bob,

That's as may be, but how is current film not "easy and fast to develop and print?" The speed benefits of digital (in terms of consumer photography, mind you - I'm not turning in my Luddite card yet) have been somewhat overblown in an environment of pervasive one- hour minilabs. Online distribution (email and web) and cost are the "killer apps" of digital, though I and I'm sure others on this list have run the numbers and found the cost argument to be a red herring.

I do fully agree with the previous point about digital being a serendipitous surge at the end of an already declining cycle, and having almost run its own course. Joe consumer doesn't need a 20+MP digital any more than he needed a Hasselblad.

Best regards,
From the armchair of:
Aaron Reece
Oswego, NY, USA
60" snow accumulation since Monday and another 40+" projected through Friday . . .

On Feb 7, 2007, at 7:39 PM, afterswift@xxxxxxx wrote:

If R&D people inside or outside Kodak could deliver film that is easy and fast to develop and print, digital will not monopolize photography. Kodak has been sleeping on this front for almost 100 years. They got a rude awakening.