[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All Black and White Paper

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:38:44 -0400

Other reasons paper manufacturers have to change the way they make products
are:

Raw material supplier changes raw materials...for environmental
reasons...for cost savings ...for what ever you can think of
Raw material supplier discontinues component.... ...for environmental
reasons...for cost savings ...for what ever you can think of
Govt regulations makes Kodak and other manufacturers change products for
environmental reasons.

    Note: all Kodak papers were made with formaldehyde hardener.  Probable
reason paper coatings were moved to Brazil may have been to overcome US govt
coating restrictions. It costs a lot of money to move a product. Regulations
may have killed the products not Kodak.  Once regulators get a bug up their
ass they can shut a company down.  They may have asked "Do you make it with
FA?  ans, "yes."   "How much goes into the making?"  We weigh in 'X'. But we
can only measure we are taking out Y but we think zero remains.   Regulators
conclude X-Y must remain in the product...BAD!    (Weighing and measuring
are two different things and will NEVER EQUAL each other)

Only one paper was made with without FA.  Polymax Fine Art.   If the above
is the reason wasn't worth keeping that.

Note: I'm guessing regarding cause.  No recent inside info.

Dave