[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All Black and White Paper

  • From: Philippe Gauthier <pgauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:36:12 -0400

At 06:18 15-06-05 -0700, you wrote:

>    I just got word from my contact at Kodak that they will be
discontinuing all black and white paper. The official announcement will be
made later today.=20
>    Kodak will continue making B&W film and chemicals.=20
>    The reason boils down to paper no longer being a profitable market.=20

The truth is that they just lost the market to Ilford and Agfa, I think. I
noticed last week that the last store in Montr=E9al who used to carry the
Kodak line of paper no longer does. Meanwhile, Ilford and to a lesser
extent, Agfa papers, are easily found in the few good photo stores left.
BTW, I belong to a B&W only photo club and I know no one who uses/used
Kodak paper. Maybe they are/were good, maybe not, but they certainly
completely failed to market them in the last 10 years here in Canada.

No one here carries the more exotic brands - Forte, Bergger, Luminos... -
unfortunately and it seems that the local stores cannot get them even in
special order.=20