[pure-silver] Re: IR in cold?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:14:33 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janet Cull" <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:58 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: IR in cold?

On Dec 27, 2007, at 6:04 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

If the fog is uniform it may be a manufacturing defect.

It is. All along both borders are just the same as what would be the
light areas within the frames.

Frustrating!  That stuff is so expensive.

Probably the only way of proving this would be to test a roll by developing it without an exposure. I mean opening it in the darkroom and putting it in the tank. If its fogged its the film itself. I don't remember what the spectral sensitivity of Maco IR film is. Some IR film, like Kodak's, was intended for scientific work and is sensitive to light fairly far removed from the visible, although its still "near" IR. Some IR film is just sensized to light a little further into the red than ordinarly pan film. It will give some IR effects with a dark red filter. Kodak film will show the the difference between deciduous and evergreen trees, the former photographing very light, the latter very dark (providing an actual IR filter is used), I don't know if Maco will do that.

---