[pure-silver] Re: History... Clarification

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:02:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, Ray asked:

& Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Well, I use a round aperture because that is what my
> Compon-S f/5.6 180mm lens has. But square apertures are
> better (the H.D curve has a better shape). People also used
> other shapes for different reasons.

??? Just how many... and what designs for apertures are there?!

I have never ventured to look past the more or less circular (hexagonal? I
never bothered to count) apertures... [come to thnk of it, when you say
"circular" does that mean circular or approximatly so?]

I recall during the last solar eclipse, there was discussion of how the
circular sun could be imaged by all shapes of "apertures" including the spaces
between tree leaves....

Were any of these non-circular-ish apertures found on common (pictorial)
lenses?

Ray