[pure-silver] Re: Hardening fixer for film

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:56:58 +0200

At 15:16 16.04.2007, you wrote:
I was under the impression that Sistan (or its equivalent) needed to be the LAST step. ie If you rinsed after the Sistan, the Sistan rinsed out and was no longer there for protection.

??

I am stumped myself now. I learnt this Sistan use (before he AGEPON) back yonder ages, someone told me. I canot even remember.

And now I checked the various data sheets (also those by AGFA) and they only refer to Sistan for the PRINTS! And to top it off ONLY BAryt prints. They argue, that prints have a large surface area allowing gaseous irritants to attack. Also there are plenty of chemicals in the fibre base which people claim can harm the print "from below".

But noone mentioned the film scenario. And nobody said Sistan itself is a wetting agent, only the archiving properties are mentioned.

It is of course entirely feasible, that the AGFA chemists decided to also put wetting agent into Sistan, as they want it to be the last bath and they don´t want to be responsible for all of those stubborn water stains.

LOve,
Snoopy