[pure-silver] Re: Hardening fixer for film

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:00:42 +0200

At 18:31 16.04.2007, you wrote:

It would be interesting to know when IPI tested Sistan. A few years ago I had considerable correspoindence with Dr. Douglas Nishimura of IPI about several permanence issues. He mentioned that Sistan had never been given a formal test. I have to go by memory but I think he said that they started to test the stuff and Agfa withdrew it.

Dear Richard,

this might have something to do with the fact, that there are two Sistans: the "old" Sistan - this is the one I used in my long-bygone youth and this is the one where I was told to use it in the AGEPON.

Then came (I don´t know when) "Sistan New". It might well be that this was introduced because a law disallowed a chemical component or marketing reasons or somesuch.

So it might be that they withdrew the old Sistan from the test and then had the new stuff tested. Because the data sheet where the info is from pertains to "Sistan New".

Actually if you don´t mind me saying so, I don´t really care much if its "formally" tested. From what people say here (and I trust them) it does make a positive difference. Since all the information here is for prints and I use it on film I reckon I am "on my own" anyhow ??

Love,
Snoopy