[pure-silver] Re: Grain

  • From: Sandor Mathe <sandorm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:25:23 -0500

Film grain hides fine detail, lowers resolution, and is the opposite to
smooth tonal changes.

If you want any of these three, I think you want to eliminate visible
grain.  Whether the subject is fine foliage in a landscape where you want
fine detail,  the texture of rust and other worn surfaces in an industrial
image where you want high resolution, or the surface of human skin or a
skyscape where you want smooth tones, grain will get in the way.

I agree there are some images in which these kinds of things aren't
important.  I also think those images are in the minority.

Sandor

Bob Randall <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: pure-silver-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/09/2006 11:20 AM
Please respond to
pure-silver

<pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[pure-silver] Re: Grain

On 1/9/06 9:42 AM, "Sandor Mathe" <sandorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my view 99% (OK maybe 98%) of the time, film grain gets in the way of
the image.

How does it get in the way?

Bob