[pure-silver] Re: Grain

  • From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:25:25 +0000

I also have been trying these plastic films with a Cannon i9950. Although
the negative looks good up to the light, you must squash the image side
absolutely to the paper, (no mean feat with wavy fibre paper), to get a
sharp transfer. On top of that, it is very easy in areas of flat tone to see
the dither striations of the inkjet head. (Before you ask, the nozzles are
all firing and the alignment is done on the film too). Calibration is fun
too, not impossible, but stretching the capabilities of the subtlety of
dense ink gradation. I did experiment briefly with a Gamma setting of 3,
(which puts more shadow resolution into a normal inkjet print) which did
work to some tonal advantage. However, the comparative quality and
reproducibility of halftone negatives is not to be underestimated for silver
gelatine prints,.... you just need to find a local imagesetter.

Chris Woodhouse ARPS

On 10/1/06 15:38, "Tim Rudman" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Results are only suitable for contact printing Len, not for enlargement.
>
> The best I know of are:
> Pictorico OHP Transparency film
>
> Pictorico Photo Gallery Hi-Gloss White Film - a more expensive white glossy
> film that is much denser (semi-opaque) than OHP film. It holds ink better
> and gives better detail and tonality for the unforgiving nature of glossy
> silver prints. It can be printed through, but at the price of greatly
> extended exposure times.
>
> Permajet Digital Transfer film -  a similar transparent coated Clear High
> Gloss Film and less expensive than the Pictorico above, using the same
> ceramic particle technology.
>
> Fotospeed Digital Contact Film is also a clear gloss ceramic technology
> film, slightly thinner - I will be starting tests shortly.
>
> Tim

Regards Chris Woodhouse