[pure-silver] Re: Grain

  • From: Stefano Bramato <stebramato@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:39:36 +0100

At 17.57 09/01/2006, you wrote:

A friend just gave me a Photoshop action to mimic film grain to various degrees. What do they think of next? Plastic that rusts?

very interesting... pakstic that rusts... :D

THe use i love of grain is that grain have to be in. But not always noticed.
that's the way i prefer to use grain. I shoot preferably with my rolleis and having a Neoapn 400 well developed seems to have no visible clumping grain til 10x15 inches, seems to be a natural sand.
But when I shoot in 35 mm sometimes, expecially in nightshots, with the same film i have some snowballs. But it's fine.

Grain, this strange little thing: better to start from less grain film as possible, than make variations to suit the feeling of the pictures, the shot, the tastes, the tonal compression or the gritty grainy effect you want. but no one can start froma grainy film and obtain the same inverse ofwhat I already written IMO.

Digital way of creating grain is always to much cold in my feelings. I prefer the warmth of film grain always.

Stefano Bramato

Et Disco
(Ed io imparo)