[pure-silver] Re: Fw: Coffee filters

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:32:37 -0400

At 05:18 PM 6/25/2005 , you wrote:

> [...]

jun2605 from Lloyd Erlick,

It's a really good idea for selenium toner, too. I've pretty much stopped
discarding my selenium; I just keep topping it up when it runs low. Frequent
filtering helps keep it clear.

To make the solution pass through the filter relatively quickly, it's
important
to have air *behind* ("under") the filter. I have one of those solid mesh
'permanent' coffee filters (not the gold-plated kind! There's always one
available at the Goodwill for pennies) and I put my paper filter (much finer
filtering than the mesh) inside it, and the whole thing goes into an ordinary
funnel. I found if I put the paper filter in the funnel directly, it went
through extremely slowly, because the paper sticks to the funnel. I tried one
of the filter-holding-funnels made for the purpose (a genuine Melitta with
ribs
to hold up the filter ...) but it was only marginally faster.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326