[pure-silver] Re: Fuji GA-645Zi And Interframe Fog

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:53:17 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:24 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Fuji GA-645Zi And Interframe Fog

I have a Fuji GA-645Zi that I use as a MF point-and-shoot
when I don't have time for a "real" camera.

Lately, I've noticed that - every now and then - there appears to be exposure/fogging between frames. What makes me suspicious is that this happens when I am shooting straight into the sun and the sun happens
to be at the edge of the frame.

Given that this is a pretty new (<10 years old) camera, what could account for this? Has anyone else noted this problem? Is it possible
there is that much reflection inside the camera?
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It may be that the film does not fit tightly at the edge of the gate allowing some light to tunnel through by reflection. There may also be some flare at the gate edges from light being scattered by the emulsion and by halation. Even though the film has an anti-halation coating on the back (I am assuming B&W film) it is not perfect and there may be some internal reflection where the light striking the film is very strong. I've seen a similar effect in Rolleiflex negaives shot in bright daylight with the lens accidently wide open. Those negatives had a dark flare all around the edges. Check the anti-reflection paint in the camera. Also, If its possible to mount a bit of ground glass in the film gate you may be able to see what is causing this by shining a strong flashlight into the lens from various angles.