[pure-silver] Re: Fotofest meeting place

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 21:26:10 -0500

Fotofest does list the reviewers I think on their website but I haven't looked at it yet. Not sure what you mean by competitive: do you mean, competitive for photographers to get in, or that the reviews compete with each other?

--shannon

On May 28, 2007, at 7:59 PM, Adrienne Moumin wrote:

These types of things are held by different orgs throughout the country. The "brotherhood" of photogs' portfolio reviews has turned into a commercial enterprise, it seems; even ICP did away w/them recently in favor of paid reviews.

I almost did the one in March at PowerHouse Books in Bklyn but registered too late to get in.

But I have spoken to several others who have done them, and the concensus (sp?) seems to be that if the reviewers there whom you are matched up w/specialize in your kind of work and your goals for it, it can be extremely worthwhile, but if not, not.

Depending on the organization, they will sometimes list the reviewers and their credentials and affiliations so you can decide for yourself. If not, and you are still interested, perhaps contact them to inquire; after all it is your money, time, plane ticket and hotel fare, and such a shame it would be if it were wasted because you didn't have enuf info beforehand to make an informed decision. Seems to me it is the obligation and responsibility of these orgs to make this info known, but it is such a competitive field even for these reviews nowadays perhaps the orgs don't see it that way.

Just my $.02.

Please let us know whether you decide to go for it, and if so, how it went!

-Adrienne

***************************************
on the web at:    http://www.picturexhibit.com
Saatchi Gallery:    http://tinyurl.com/hw6r3
Art DC:              http://tinyurl.com/vtjqf
***************************************

From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Fotofest meeting place
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 08:28:37 -0500

I got this email today from Fotofest in Houston.  I am posting it
because it may be of interest to people. The links didn't copy exactly right, but maybe they will work anyway. If not, you can go to the Foto
Fest website and find out about this.
Also, I just wanted to ask people if anybody has done this in the past,
and if you thought it was worth the quite hefty fee.

--shannon

2008 Meeting Place Portfolio Review
Registration is Now Open

The International Meeting Place Portfolio Reviews
DoubleTree Hotel - Houston Downtown
March 7 ? 20, 2008

<http://www.fotofest.org/ff2008/mp2008_reg.pdf>

-----SNIPPITY-DOO-DAH on the rest of the post-------------