[pure-silver] Re: Fotofest meeting place

  • From: Russ Gorman <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:53:31 -0700

I went many years ago and found it to be one of the most instructive experiences showing my work ever. Fotofest itself, is great as an opportunity to see photos displayed all over Houston. Tons of galleries, museums and cafes participate.

The Meeting place part of it is even more valuable.
Not only do you get the opportunity to show your work directly (one on one) to owners and photo editors of galleries , publications, stock agencies, etc. but you get to meet and share photos with over a hundred other photographers known and unknown.

The showing appointments are back to back every 20 minutes and you move from table to table carrying your portfolio to each reviewer you have reserved an appointment with. A fantastic opportunity to see an amazing variety of work and to thicken the skin against criticism.

I highly recommend it. I recommend the longer ( and more expensive) attendance choice.

It was years ago that I went and I stayed for 10 days and though I could barely afford it and shared a hotel and rental car with two photographer friends from other states, it was well worth it. We used it as an opportunity to get together again.

Many of the photographers that I met and whose work I saw ( including my friends) were successful in getting photo shows or work published or contracts from attending.

On May 26, 2007, at 6:28 AM, Shannon Stoney wrote:

I got this email today from Fotofest in Houston. I am posting it because it may be of interest to people. The links didn't copy exactly right, but maybe they will work anyway. If not, you can go to the Foto Fest website and find out about this.

Also, I just wanted to ask people if anybody has done this in the past, and if you thought it was worth the quite hefty fee.

--shannon

2008 Meeting Place Portfolio Review
Registration is Now Open

The International Meeting Place Portfolio Reviews
DoubleTree Hotel - Houston Downtown
March 7 – 20, 2008

<http://www.fotofest.org