[pure-silver] Fixing time for fiber

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:47:38 -0700 (PDT)

I'm preparing an HT-2 solution and the ST-1 solution
to diagnose a couple prints that have turned on me.

I use a double kodak rapid fixer bath and test them
till they are exhausted and then toss them, rotating
the fixer #2 into the #1 position and making a new #2
bath.  I fix for a total of 5 minutes and then go to a
water bath OR directly to the washer where they may
wash for 15-30 mins. before they go to a still water
bath to wait for hypo clearing when I finish the
printing session.  I wash for over an hour in a
vertical archival washer after hypo clearing.  I've
never had any problems toning afterwards.

The prints in question have turned yellowish brown
ONLY in the image area which, without testing, says to
me that they didn't get enough fixing.  I have always
been leary of fixing for too long with fiber, but that
may have come back to bite me you-know-where.

So, speaking to Richard's comment of going longer in
the fixer depending on the number of prints that have
gone through the solution, I'd like to work with a
fixing time that I can depend on without having to get
all empirical and test these dang prints all the time.

Is there a dependable time for that?  Obviously 5
minutes total time in partially used fixers needs to
be longer but I don't want to over-fix either.

Any suggestions?

As a side note, in speaking with Kodak professional I
found the person I spoke to lacking in knowledge in
regard to the testing solutions for silver and hypo.
I wonder, since they no longer make paper, if they are
phasing out support/knowledge of paper related issues.
 The information can be found elsewhere via the web of
course, but isn't too helpful for a novice or the
uninitiated who may not know what to look for.

Eric