[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:34:18 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lloyd Erlick" <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2006 9:46 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Fees

Somewhere Greta Garbo is quoted as saying that she would never be photographed as herself, only as a character she was playing. ---Richard Knoppow

April 23, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Very few people have the ability or skill to fully avoid being photographed 'as themselves'. I have no doubt Garbo was one of them.

More recently there was the portrait of Nancy and Ronald Reagan made by Richard Avedon. Two more produced and controlled countenances could never be found. Nor, frankly, two more surgically modified ones. But they lived in a world where everything, even portraiture, can be a contest. Who could go up against Avedon with an actor's visage? Avedon simply included their figures down to their affectionately coupled hands. Aged hands; belied faces.

I think of peoples' desire to hide from the onlooker as the wearing of a mask. This is hardly a novel notion, but I also see the mask as very precariously fastened in nearly all cases. In fact, the mask is more or less flickering; it goes on and off very, very quickly. This is the main reason I feel I need a motor-driven camera — to keep up with the unbelievable speed of human expression. Many people strive to keep the mask in place, but unless they are well trained, they cannot sustain it. It is extremely rare to find a person who can keep the mask consistently in place. Marlon Brando, Henry Kissinger, people like that could do it. Except for people on this level, it is always possible to find a moment now and then to trip the shutter and find the true visage. Take ten rolls of film, a hundred and twenty exposures, and with luck two 'real' portraits will result. That's because the real moments, unmasked, that is, are like flashes between the masks. The portraitist must not only recognize them somehow, but get the shutter open at just the right moment. That's a pretty hard co-ordination to achieve. It's a bit like hai-alai with light. I never think of it as 'capturing'. People sometimes use the expression 'getting your ducks in a row' — making a photograph demands getting your eye, brain, camera, and light in a row.

Out of the hundred or so exposures, maybe ten or twenty will be saleable. Perhaps they could be termed 'competent'. They are necessary to give clients something to be tempted by, to spend money on. As far as my own aims go, I'm only doing it for the real ones, the ones or twos. The assembled ones or twos from each session yield one or two out of a hundred, and if I live long enough there might be a body of work.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email: portrait@xxxxxxxxxxxx
net: www.heylloyd.com
--

Philipe Hallsman published a book called _The Jump Book_. It was his practice when taking portraits to ask his subjects to jump, the images are fascinating. He reports that he photographed Marilyn Monroe jumping. After a couple of jumps she asked why he was doing it. He told her it was because when people jumped it revealed their real personalities, she refused to make any more jumps.

---