[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:09:52 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Fees
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:28:23 -0400

>    1) Seen my image on the cover of a local weekly newspaper. No credit,
> no money. Turns out a friend gave it to the paper as a favor.

I bet that the newspaper reporter knew that your friend couldn't take
a decent picture. If he could, the reporter might have put your
friend's name with the picture. Those media people often only care
about people from whom they obtained the material. In the past my
photos were often credited with someone else's name. I bet that's the
person who gave the image to the reporter, or someone who acted in the
middle. In some of the cases, the preson in between us pointed out the
error in credit but those errors were very rarely corrected. I've even
seen a few cases where incorrect credits were intentionally given to
increase the recognition of someone else they liked better.

There are also people on this list who take someone's original idea
from one place to another (such as apug or photo.net) as if it were
his original, without indicating the source.

I think all sorts of plagiary are around the field of photography, and
they spread all over if we don't condemn them. Some people don't know
the difference between copyright (legal matter) and plagiarism
(ethical issue), and the fact that they may or may not overlap.

>    2) Visited a trade show. There, in poster size is one of my images
> advertising a company. I had shot a few shots of the model for fun and
> gave him a copy to which he then gave to the manufacturer's marketing
> department. He's sponsored by them.

You should've had a good release form that transfers all rights to the
photographer. Whether you should sue them or not is a different
matter, but if you have a signed release like that, it would be
difficult for them to take your effort (and complaint) lightly.