[pure-silver] FORMAT?

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:27:24 -0400

DEAR LIST,

      I just saw a lovely reproduction of Roy DeCarava's "Man on a Stoop
with Baby, 1950" in a Folio Society book of THE 100 GREATEST PHOTOGRAPHS.

      The repro in this book is excellent.  I was amazed at the tonal range
from highlights through open, rich shadows and the combination of fine grain
and acutance.  I had heard that DeCarava worked with 35mm later in his
career but I find it hard to believe that this image was made with anything
smaller than 2 1/4 if not 4X5 considering that it was 1950.  Does anyone
know for CERTAIN (not from conjecture or personal preference) what format
film/negative he used to make this image?

      If the photo history list is still active, please post this question
there as well.

      THANKS

            CHEERS!

                  BOB

 Please check my website:  <http://www.bobkiss.com/> http://www.bobkiss.com/

"Live as if you are going to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you are going to
live forever".  Mahatma Gandhi