[pure-silver] Re: Editions and Numbering

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:52:20 -0400

I have been selling my prints through galleries for the last 12 years.
Limited edition is a personal choice but does affect the gallery's ability
to sell you prints at a given price.  I have read that article "To limit or
not" and I replied to the author with the same info that I have included
below.
PROCEDURES AND SOME OBSERVATIONS:
1) DO NOT DESTROY YOUR NEGATIVES:  After you make the last print in the
edition put the negative in your lawyer's vault for 100 years.  That way YOU
will not make any more prints.  Later prints made by others will only serve
to make that image more popular and RAISE the price of the prints YOU made
when alive.
*******Every photo, regardless of its original intent, is an historical
document.  They may (note, MAY) have cultural, historical, sociological
influence that you might never guess.  Leave it to posterity to determine
that.
2) In Europe, limited edition is clearly defined as no more than 25 or 50 (I
can check that), otherwise you are seen as a print maker, NOT an artist.
3) I do use an increasing scale of prices as the edition sells.  It is an
incentive to buy early, a way of giving collectors protected value and,
given that I must retire that negative, a life net for me in that I make a
decent living off a good image before I must retire it.
4) SOME OBSERVATIONS:  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, let's think about the world in
which we REALLY live, not the ivory tower in which we might WANT to live.
The prices of gold, silver, platinum, palladium, oil, automobiles, diamonds
and just about everything else are set by CONTROLLED SUPPLY (large cartels,
etc)!  Why should WE as artists not LIVE IN THIS SAME WORLD?  Photography
alone puts food on my table, gas in my car and allows me to buy those same
precious metals with which I make prints, the prices of which are set by
CONTROLLED SUPPLY!  Why should I not control the supply of my prints, i.e.,
limited edition, in order to make a decent living and, equally as
importantly, to protect the investment of my collectors?  A marketing trick?
SO IS THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING ELSE YOU BUY!  I do not want to be OF this
world but I must live IN this world.  So, until the prices of everything
that I must buy to live are released from price fixing by supply control, I
will limit my editions.
        I am first an artist.  Then I am a sales person.  I use both sides
of my brain.  I have made my living from photography since 1974 first as an
advertising photographer, then for these last 12 years as a fine art
photographer so I cannot afford the luxury of decrying "gallery marketing
schlock". My decades in advertising taught me that EVERYTHING YOU BUY is
priced by "marketing schlock".  Again, that is just how it is and I am not
ashamed to try to make a good living in the real world.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB