[pure-silver] Re: Do-it-yourself Deardorff lensboard?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:12:43 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Manchester" <jmanz@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 8:46 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Do-it-yourself Deardorff
lensboard?

>I have a Deardorff 4x5 Special and use a metal board for
>the Graphic
> View. I also use a view to speed adaptor that allows me to
> use lenses
> mounted on speed/crown graphic boards w/ my Deardorff.
> These would have
> to be purchased used since they are no longer produced.
>

> On Sep 9, 2004, at 8:39 PM, Alan Bucknam wrote:
>
>> Ok, here's my stupid question for the day (ok, my *tenth*
>> stupid
>> question for the day...just the first one directed at
>> y'all):
>>
>> Are there any metal lensboards that are compatible with
>> the Deardorff
>> ~4x~4-inch lensboard openings (Mine's a 5x7
>> 'dorff)...like a
>> Sinar/etc.? I regularly (accidentally) beat the snot out
>> of the corners
>> of the wooden ones, and I'd like to know if anyone's had
>> any luck with
>> using a non-Deardorff board on a Deardorff.
>>
>> If that's not possible, are there specs out there in the
>> infosphere
>> that would allow my good machinist to create a
>> stainless-steel
>> lensboard to the proper specifications?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Alan Bucknam

   I don't have a Deardorf but am under the impression that
the 4x4" Deardorf boards are thicker than the Graphic ones.
Also, do they have rounded corners like the larger Deardorf
boards?
   Graflex 4x4" boards fit 4x5 Pre-Anniverdary and
Anniversary Speed Graphics (made until 1947), the Graphic
View I and Graphic View II, Burke & James press cameras, the
Kodak 4x5 Master View, which later became the Calumet
CC-400, Orbit, and other names. Standard Speed Graphic
boards are made of wood, Graphic View boards are metal. The
standard board for the Master View/Calumet is a flat metal
board with ridges on it but the cameras well accept the
Graphic style boards. However, you can not use the Calumet
type board on a Graphic because it won't clear the fixed
lower retaning strip on the bottom of the front. All of
these also fit the recessed lens board for the Calumet C-1
8x10 camera.
   These are very easy boards to make. I have adaptors for
my Agfa/Ansco view cameras so that by mounting LF lenses on
4x4" Graphic boards I can use them on eight cameras.

---