[pure-silver] Re: Diafine from Freestyle

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:17:57 -0800

Plastic (as long as it's clean) is fine.

Hello Jeffery,

I use only distilled water for all my photography chemicals. To much crap in the tap water.

The 1-qt bottles that you recommend for storage, should they be the dark brown glass bottles or will the brown photo plastic bottles do?

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
bogdan

Jeffrey Thorns wrote:
Be sure to mix it with distilled water. I have used it after a year, but I'm not sure I would trust it beyond that.

If you have the spare bottles, break the initial mix up into 4 1-quart containers. (assuming you are using about 1 quart at a time, when you develop film) Use the first one for a few months, dump it, move to the second, etc.

Hi all,

EUREKA!

Just got a note from Freestyle telling me that they checked with the Postal people and there is no problem sending Diafine to Canada.

So my problem is solved.

I just want to take the opportunity to thank all the people who responded with advice and information, and especially a heartfelt THANK YOU to the several individuals who offered to buy it for me and then ship it to Canada.

You are a great bunch of people; it's a pleasure to be in your company.

Again, Thank you!

Cheers,  :)
Bogdan

P.S.: Just a side note. How long does Diafine last once it is mixed? Freestyle only sells packages to make a gallon. I certainly don't foresee using up a gal of the stuff right away. Will it last a while on the shelf once it is mixed? Any particular quirks regarding storage?

Bogdan Karasek wrote:

Hi,

I've found out, much to my regret, that Diafine is no longer available in Canada. I wanted to get some to develop some 16mm microfilm that i have been shooting in a Mamiya-16 and Minolta-16 II.

It is available in the US, at Freestyle and B&H. B&H states quite clearly that they will not ship and that you have to come to pick it up at the store; Freestyle tells me that they can't ship Diafine to Canada because it is considered a hazmat and there are to many obstacles and too expensive to ship a hazmat.

I did a search in Google to see if the formula is available; the chemicals I can get locally. But all I got was several two part developer substitutes for Diafine but not the actual formula. Is it some sort of state secret???

Would anybody in the group have the formula for Diafine?

Cheers,
bogdan

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx