[pure-silver] Re: Diafine

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:32:50 -0500

Hi Jordan,

Actually, it has been unavailable for longer than that. I spoke with the manager of the photo store I was in this morning (my last hope) and he told me that the person who was the Canadian distributor for Acufine products retired several years ago and nobody was willing to continue distributing it. Seems that there wasn't all that much demand for it so it wasn't worth while to carry the product.

Last time I bought Diafine was about 7-8 years ago. I used to buy it at Viala (closed last year), Lozeau (still around) and Photo Service (still around). The two latter stores are considered pro stores (cater to wedding photographers) but everything is digital. They no longer even sell Hoya filters for film cameras, nor do they sell film cameras. Still sell film, though, although I'm starting to stock up my freezer with bulk rolls of Tri-X. In the minuscule darkroom section, all they have is Ilford products and Kodak Selenium.

Supplies for wet darkrooms are starting to become a niche product, at least that's what I'm noticing in Montreal.

Get the vats out and start mixing your own brews!

Cheers,
bogdan

Jordan Wosnick wrote:

Bogdan -- I was unaware that it had been available in Canada at all over the last 3-4 years. Where did you usually buy it?

Jordan

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    It would be appreciated.  Maybe a half dozen while they are at it.  But
    I don't want anybody running unnecessary risks?

    Why would Diafine be considered a hazmat???

    Cheers,
    Bogdan

    Jim Brick wrote:

     > Can't someone on the list send you a can of it?
     >
     > Jim
     >

     > On Feb 25, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Bogdan Karasek wrote:
     >
     >> Hi,
     >>
     >> I've found out, much to my regret, that Diafine is no longer
     >> available in Canada.  I wanted to get some to develop some 16mm
     >> microfilm that i have been shooting in a Mamiya-16 and
    Minolta-16 II.

     >> It is available in the US, at Freestyle and B&H.  B&H states quite
     >> clearly that they will not ship and that you have to come to pick it
     >> up at the store; Freestyle tells me that they can't ship Diafine to
     >> Canada because it is considered a hazmat and there are to many
     >> obstacles and too expensive to ship a hazmat.
     >>
     >> I did a search in Google to see if the formula is available; the
     >> chemicals I can get locally.  But all I got was several two part
     >> developer substitutes for Diafine but not the actual formula.  Is it
     >> some sort of state secret???
     >>
     >> Would anybody in the group have the formula for Diafine?
     >>
     >> Cheers,
     >> bogdan

      Bogdan Karasek
      Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx