[pure-silver] Re: Diafine

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:41:53 -0500

Hi Joel,

Fuirst place I tried was The Formulary. But no go. It was considered a hazardous material so it would have to be shipped in a Hazmat unit, it's a bummer to ship across the border. I read the MSDS pdf given with the ad, and Richard K. was right in his speculation that hydroquinone must the the culprit. In the pdf file (see below)that comes with the ad

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/msds/acufine/Diafine_Part_A.pdf

under Hazardous Ingredients, one listing, the culprit: hydroquinone

Anyway, I just wrote back a letter, asking if they could find out it was hazardous enough that there was a border restriction, "no entry" on it. I asked them to get back to me that. So maybe it's not a problem, let's hope.

I'm going to call my photochemical supplier and ask her what problems there might with the border and such. After all, she lists her photo chemical products on eBay. She's the only one in Canada, so if you go on ebay an look for "hypo", you'll run across her. I'm lucky, we're in the same city.

If I come up with anything interesting, I'll report back. I think that if there are restrictions, then we are in deep in a hole. Have you checked the chemical supply in the tiny darkroom section in the back corner at your local photo store lately and the clerk doesn't know what Diafine is!!!! The only B+W film and print developers I can get in Montreal are the 3-4 Ilford developers and Kodak Dektol, D-76, D-19 and most also carry Selectol when it's not on backorder. Pretty soon we'll mixing our own Dektol and D-76. And what if that one ingredient is on a Hazard Material list somewhere and can't be shipped. What then? What if your favourite develop contains hydroquinone. And it can't be shipped.

OK, I'm being overly dramatic, but you get my drift.

me, I'm learning to do dry glass plates, making some for my Minox B :)

Cheers,
Bogdan

Joel Alpers wrote:
Bogdan Karasek wrote:

Hi Craig,

That's one of the formulas I pulled off the 'net after my search with Google. The formula is from Patrick Dignan's book "Classic B&W Formulas"

I have 400 ft of 16mm Microfilm, Fuji Super HR, and I've been told by several people who shoot in 16 and 8 mm that Diafine is the way to go with Microfilm. So I want to find out for myself. Developer's that are dedicated to microfilm give a very contrasty neg whereas Diafine gives the neg tonality and enables the microfilm to be used for pictorial purposes.

I have 400 feet. so might as well play around with it.

Freestyle has it on their on-line catalog:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=5558

Joel.

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx