[pure-silver] Re: Data - RE: Re: Anybody use Rollie ATP and process with their recommended developer?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:42:56 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 2:06 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Data - RE: Re: Anybody use Rollie ATP and process with their recommended developer?

Well, The film was hanging in the film drying box when I got in this morning. It has a substantial bluish color in the B&F area. Processed it at 68F for 7 min. It appears to be a little bit much for the 1:14 development. I might need to trim that back to 5. The biggest issue was the curl of the film; Took it off the clips and it rolled right up the long way.

Eric Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226
214-827-8301

I wonder if there is no anti-curl back coating or if the support has some strange sort of memory. Most of the time curling of film or paper is due to the differential shrinkage of the emulsion vs: support. Film has had a back coating of gelatin as an anti-curl device for a century now. It also often has the anti-halation dye in it. The dye is changed to a colorless form by the sulfite in developer and fixer but neither the gelatin or dye is removed. One reason for excessive shrinkage of the emulsion is lack of hardening in manufacture. Gelatin is much like a sponge in that it swells and contracts with moisture content and pH. The "hardness" of gelatin is not quite the same thing is physical hardness but rather a measure of the amount of swelling with temperature and moisture content. Soft gelatin changes a lot. Many modern B&W films are hardened in manufacture so that they will withstand processing temperatures of 100F, similar to color films, however, many older emulsions are not and I suspect film made by some of the smaller companies have pretty soft emulsions. I am not quite sure what to do about this but changing the nature of the fixing bath may help, that is, if you currently use a non-hardening bath switch to one with a hardener, or use one without hardener if you do use one. Another possibility is to adjust the pH after fixing. If you don't use a sulfite wash aid try one. Even if you are using an alkaline fixing bath a buffered sulfite wash aid like Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent will adjust the pH to neutral and might make a difference.