[pure-silver] Re: Contrast paper developer

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:47:35 +0200

----- Message d'origine -----
De: İbrahim Pamuk <ibrahim.pamuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:02:35 +0300
Sujet: [pure-silver] Contrast paper developer
À: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Hi,
>
>I have recently start using Durst M805 enlarger which is diffused light type.
>My previous one was condenser based enlarger. I found I need more contrast
>than before. This ends with I have to work with 4.5 or 5 grade most of the
>times. I plan to test a high contast developer for printing for this reason.
>Can you recommend any formula? I used to prepare D72.
>
>Regards
>

>Ibrahim Pamuk
>Genel Müdür Yardımcısı / Deputy General Manager
>Vestel Savunma Sanayi A.Ş. / Vestel Defence Industries
>
>Birlik Mah. 14. Sokak 4
>Çankaya Ankara 06450
>Türkiye / Turkey
>
>Tel: +90 312 496 21 00
>Fax:+90 312 495 43 53

A diffuser enlarger gives a softer contrast than a condenser model, the
difference is roughly one grade.
When you develop your negs for a diffused light, you have to develop it for a
higher contrast, usually by increasing the development time.
I used a halogen head - diffused light and develop my negs so a normally lit
scene prints fine on a grade 2 (no filters).
Kodak technical sheets usually give both times.

Follow Dave's advice to check your filters are not faded as normal negs
correctly developed for a condenser head should print fine with a grade 3
filter on a diffused light enlarger.
If they are faded, then you may either replace them or use multigrade filters
in the drawer or under the lens.
As genuine Durst dichroïc filters may be expensive, you may replace them by
Rosco dichroïc filters cut to the proper dimensions.
Filtration values will most probably be different from the original Durst ones.
Rosco filters can be obtained pretty cheaply at B&H.

I would prefer this approach as it continues to use standard chemicals.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch